If you want to use WhatsApp on your Mac, here we show you the best ways to run WhatsApp on macOS including Monterey.
- 1. Use WhatsApp For Mac Desktop
- 2. Use WhatsApp Web On Mac
- 3. Use WhatsApp on Mac Without A Connected iPhone
- 4. Use ChitChat For Mac
- 5. Use An Android Emulator
- 6. Use Bluestacks
1. Use WhatsApp For Mac Desktop
WhatsApp has been available as a desktop app on Mac since 2016. The desktop app is the best way of running WhatsApp on a Mac because it has more support for desktop notifications and better keyboard shortcuts than any other method.
It also syncs with the iPhone and iPad versions of WhatsApp.
It’s easy to download and install WhatsApp for Mac for free. Just go to the WhatsApp download page.
When you’ve downloaded and unzipped the file, just double click to install the client on your Mac and drag it into your Applications folder.
When you open the app, you need to scan the QR code with your phone in order to sync your mobile with the desktop app. When you’ve done this, you can start using WhatsApp on your Mac desktop.
All messages that you send with WhatsApp for Mac are synced with your phone and vice versa.
Some of the advantages of the macOS desktop client include keyboard shortcuts such as CMD + Shift + M to mute a conversation and CMD + Shift + U to change the read status of a message.
You also don’t have to log back in every time you close your browser like you have to with the web app. Note that you cannot make voice calls from WhatsApp for Mac.
2. Use WhatsApp Web On Mac
The web version of WhatsApp was released in early 2015 and was the first time Mac users could use WhatsApp via Google Chrome but has one big drawback.
The web version of WhatsApp does not work with iPhones due to “platform limitations” with Google Chrome (that’s basically Google/Apple talk for “we don’t like each other much”).
It only works with Android, BlackBerry, Nokia and Windows phones. However, if you don’t want to install the desktop version on your Mac, the web version works in your browser and requires no download or installation.
Here’s how to use WhatsApp Web on a Mac:
- Update WhatsApp on your mobile device to the latest version. This is very important, otherwise, the web version will not work with it.
- Make sure you’ve installed the Google Chrome browser on your Mac. Open it and go to the following address: https://web.whatsapp.com.
- Scan the QR code that appears with your mobile device. To do this open WhatsApp on your phone. Select the Menu button by touching the three dots in the top right corner and you’ll see the option “WhatsApp Web”.
Select this option and The QR code scanner will appear with a message to go to the WhatsApp web page that you’ve already got open in Chrome.
- When you’ve scanned the code in Google Chrome, you’re done. You can then chat using WhatsApp Messenger on your Mac. Like on your phone, you will receive desktop notifications when a user has messaged you.
All chats will be synced with your phone when you return to it. You can logout of WhatsApp Web on your Mac at any time but if you do, you’ll need to go through the QR code scanning process again to log back on.
It’s a good idea to make sure you are using WiFi on your phone when logged onto WhatsApp Web on Macs because if your phone is connected to WhatsApp via 3/4G, it will also use your data plan to sync messages while you are using WhatsApp on your Mac.
3. Use WhatsApp on Mac Without A Connected iPhone
If you don’t want to connect or sync WhatsApp with your phone then you can also use WhatsApp on a Mac without a connected phone.
Thanks to multi-device support in WhatsApp you can now use WhatsApp on up to 4 different devices without a connected phone.
To link your WhatsApp account to your Mac without an iPhone or iPad follow these instructions.
- Open WhatsApp on your phone
- Select Settings > Linked Devices
- Tap Multi-Device Beta, then tap the blue Join Beta button.
- Tap Back and select Link a Device
- Open the WhatsApp for Mac desktop app if you have it otherwise go to WhatsApp Web and scan the QR code that appears in your browser.
You can now send and receive WhatsApp messages from your Mac without having to have a phone connected to the internet. All calls and messages will be encrypted as they are on a phone.
There are limitations to using WhatsApp on a Mac this way though.
- You cannot delete messages or conversations using WhatsApp without a connected phone
- You cannot message or call users that have an outdated version of WhatsApp on their phone
- You can only have one phone connected to your WhatsApp account at one time
- If you don’t use your main WhatsApp account on your phone for more than 14 days, your Mac version of WhatsApp will disconnect and stop working for security reasons.
4. Use ChitChat For Mac
ChitChat for Mac is a free app that basically wraps the web app into Safari and then makes it available as an application that you can launch from your Dock like any other.
It means that you don’t need a browser to use WhatsApp web and works like a separate app on your Mac:
It also means that you can use keyboard shortcuts to manage WhatsApp on your Mac:
There are some little glitches like the media upload button doesn’t work but you can also upload video and audio to ChitChat by dragging it into the app.
5. Use An Android Emulator
The most complicated way to use WhatsApp on your Mac is to install an Android emulator.
This method is definitely more complicated and impractical because it requires an extra mobile number since WhatsApp only allows you to have one account installed on one device at a time unless you’re using the official app.
The Android emulator method is worth doing however if you plan to install other apps on your Mac which are only available on mobile (such as Candy Crush).
Here we show you all the ways to use WhatsApp on your Mac so you can decide which one is best for you.
Although Bluestacks used to be the most popular way to install Android apps on Mac, it has become less reliable in recent years so this method does not require the Bluestacks Android emulator.
- Download this ISO image of Android. Download the first file in the list which should be the one with the most downloads.
- Download Virtual Box for Mac. Virtual Box allows you to run other operating systems – such as Android and Windows – on your Mac. Download the file that says “Download Virtual Box for Mac Hosts”.
- Install VirtualBox on your Mac and then when you open it, click “New” in the top left corner.
In the Name field, you can write WhatsApp and in the Type just select “Other” as Android is not on the list.
- Move the Memory slider somewhere in the middle.
- Select the second option “Create a Virtual HardDrive Now”.
- Select the first option “VirtualBox Disk Image”.
- Select the first option “Dynamically Allocated”.
- You can call the new Hard Drive “WhatsApp”. Click Create.
- You’re now ready to setup Android on your Mac. You’ll see your new WhatsApp Virtual Drive in the left menu. Make sure it is selected and click Start. You’ll then be prompted to select a Virtual Disk which is the Android ISO you downloaded earlier. Browse to the Android ISO file and click Start.
- When you see the Virtual Box mouse warning, just click capture and then simply hit “Enter” as the option you need “Run Android -x86 Without Installation” is selected by default. Once your mouse is inside Virtual Box, it is “locked” in there but if you need to get it out to use it in OS X again, simply press the left CMD key next to the spacebar to release it.
- Android will not setup automatically.
- Skip the WiFi setup and Google Account setup stages.
- Once setup has finished, you are on the main Android screen. Select the Home Menu button as you would if you were using an Android device. You must first access Settings.
- Go to Security and enable Unknown Sources. Click OK when the security warning pops up and Unknown Sources is enabled.
- Use the Back button at the bottom of the screen to go back to your Android desktop…
- And then search for “WhatsApp apk” in the Google search bar at the top. If a Google Account prompt appears, just use the back arrow bottom in the bottom left to remove it and return to the Search Bar. Select the result that says WhatsApp for Android from the official WhatsApp site which should be the first result on the page.
- Click the green “Download Now” box
- When WhatsApp has finished downloading, click on it. If you have problems seeing the download, drag on the download manager arrow in the top left of the screen and drag down.
- Click Open and Accept the Custom ROM warning. Then simply follow the WhatsApp setup process.
- You’ve now installed WhatsApp on your Mac in an Android emulator.
Of course, you’ll need a mobile number that is not already setup with a WhatsApp account to do this as you can only use one WhatsApp account on one device at a time.
Important: If the verification method by SMS fails, you need to use voice verification instead. Make sure the SIM card is on your mobile and select voice verification. You will then receive an automated message with a code that you can then enter into WhatsApp on your Mac to activate it.At the time of writing, this is the only way to physically install WhatsApp on Mac that definitely works other than the web version. If you have any problem using this tutorial, please let us know in the comments below.
6. Use Bluestacks
Bluestacks for Mac is an Android emulator which allows you to play Android games and use Android apps on a Mac.
It’s easier than using Virtual Box to install and Android emulator although it can be unreliable and unstable on a Mac.
Here’s how to install WhatsApp on a Mac using Bluestacks.
- Download and install Bluestacks 4 for Mac (note that the most recent version Bluestacks 5 is not available for Mac). Let the installer run and Bluestacks App Player is installed on your Mac.
- You’ll find all of the pre-installed Android apps in your Dock which includes WhatsApp.
- However, the preinstalled Whatsapp will not work. You have to reinstall it by doing the following. Click on the Facebook app in Bluestacks and login into your Facebook account. Send yourself a message with the following link in it: http://www.whatsapp.com/android/
- Click on the link and then click “Download Now”.
- WhatsApp will then start to download in Bluestacks App Player. You can see the status of the download by dragging down the status bar as if you were using an Android phone.
- When it’s finished, click on it to install Whatsapp on Mac. Then simply follow the install instructions as if you were installing Whatsapp on an Android phone.
- Remember that you’ll need a phone number with which to verify your Whatsapp account, either via SMS or Voice Message.
Hello! Thanks a lot android emulator/ whatsapp working great! but how to have calls and video calls with it please?
I think you didn’t make calls and receive also.
Leave a Reply
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
WhatsApp offers its own free WhatsApp Desktop app available on the Mac App Store, where you'll find other third-party WhatsApp clients also available, such as FreeChat and ChatMate.What are four ways to open apps in macOS? ›
- Click the Launchpad icon in the Dock, then click an app icon. ...
- Use Siri to open an app for you. ...
- Click Spotlight in the menu bar, enter an app's name in the search field, then press Return. ...
- If you recently used an app, choose Apple menu > Recent Items, then choose the app.
- Step 1: Download WhatsApp for Windows or macOS from here.
- Step 2: Once the download is complete, a .exe file will be downloaded for Windows. ...
- Step3: Open the file and complete the installation process.
It's not possible to run WhatsApp Web on Safari running on iPad/iOS. This restriction is imposed by WhatsApp website backend.What is the best WhatsApp for Mac? ›
Only with ChatMate for WhatsApp you can send and receive voice messages, photos, videos, documents and Emojis. It is the must have App for any WhatsApp user with a Mac!How can I use WhatsApp on my laptop without QR code? ›
- Step 1: To avoid using WhatsApp Web by scanning QR code, you can download WhatsApp Native App, which can be accessed on Windows and macOS. ...
- Step 2: Download WhatsApp on your Windows or Mac using this link.
You can use emulators like Andy or BlueStacks to use WhatsApp on your computer. Go to Andy Android Emulator's website and click on 'Download'. Now, click on the downloaded file to install the emulator. Follow the download instructions and provide the required permissions to the emulator.Can I login to WhatsApp without my phone? ›
Go to WhatsApp Web, web.whatsapp.com. You can also install the WhatsApp desktop version. You will see a QR code on the screen along with the instructions about how to use WhatsApp on your computer. Scan the code through your phone by following the steps: WhatsApp settings>Linked Devices> Link a Device.How do I run 3rd party apps on Mac? ›
Select "Security & Privacy" from the "System Preferences" window. Select the "General" tab, and select the lock in the lower left corner to allow changes. Enter your computer username and password, then select "Unlock." In the "Allow apps downloaded from:" section, select the radio button to the left of "Anywhere."How do I open 3rd party apps on Mac? ›
Open a Mac app from an unidentified developer
- In the Finder on your Mac, locate the app you want to open. ...
- Control-click the app icon, then choose Open from the shortcut menu.
Open a Finder window and navigate to Applications > Utilities. Double-click Activity Monitor. In the main window, you will see a list of processes with strange names. This is everything running on your Mac right now.Can you login in WhatsApp without verification code? ›
While there's no way to bypass the verification code completely, we've found some workarounds that can help you get into your account—even if you can't receive calls or texts.How do I install WhatsApp on Chrome? ›
To connect your web browser to your WhatsApp client, simply open https://web.whatsapp.com in your Google Chrome browser.Which emulator can run WhatsApp? ›
BlueStacks app player is the best platform (emulator) to run this Android app on your PC or Mac for an immersive user experience! Run WhatsApp Messenger on PC and enjoy this free communication app from the large and gorgeous display on your PC!Can I run WhatsApp on browser? ›
WhatsApp Web is a browser version of the WhatsApp Messenger chat and video/voice calling app from iOS and Android. Desktop WhatsApp comes in two flavors — a downloadable system app for Mac and Windows or the ability to operate directly from the browser.Is there a Web interface for WhatsApp? ›
There are two ways you can use WhatsApp on your computer: WhatsApp Web: A browser-based application of WhatsApp. WhatsApp Desktop: An application you can download to your computer. WhatsApp Web and Desktop are computer-based extensions of the WhatsApp account on your phone.Why doesn't WhatsApp work on my Mac? ›
Make Sure Your Mobile and WhatsApp Are on Same Wi-Fi
You need to have the phone running with an active internet connection with the same Wi-Fi network as your Mac. If your phone is connected to another Wi-Fi network, you will continue to receive connection errors upon opening the app.
Here's how to view WhatsApp in a web browser:
Open your PC, laptop or tablet browser and head to web.whatsapp.com. On an Android phone open WhatsApp, tap the three dots at the top right and choose WhatsApp web. On an iPhone start WhatsApp, tap the settings icon at the bottom left and choose WhatsApp web/desktop.
- From the web browser, enter web.whatsapp.com in the URL field.
- A page will be loaded with a QR code for you to scan.
- Open WhatsApp on your phone and click on the three dots at the top right corner of your WhatsApp screen.
- click on Whatsapp Web from the displayed menu.
The desktop version works in the same manner as the mobile version. One can send, receive texts, send voice chats, view the status of their contacts. In order to use WhatsApp on their phones, the users need to scan a QR code on the desktop to log in.
You can use iCloud with third-party apps on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac. For an overview of what you can do with iCloud, see Keep third-party app data up to date on all your Apple devices with iCloud. Note: Make sure you're signed in with the same Apple ID on each device.Does Apple support 3rd party apps? ›
The App Store is home to about 2 million apps with only about 60 from Apple, meaning that more than 99.99% of apps are third-party apps.How do I open an app that Cannot be verified Mac? ›
If you're certain that an app you want to install is from a trustworthy source and hasn't been tampered with, you can temporarily override your Mac security settings to open it. Go to Security & Privacy. Click the Open Anyway button in the General pane to confirm your intent to open or install the app.How do I add an external app to my Mac? ›
Select App Store from the Apple menu and the Mac App Store will open. When signed in with your Apple ID, you can download apps: click Get and then install app for a free app, or one with in-app purchases, or click the price label for a paid one. In-app purchases are indicated next to the Get button, if there are any.How do I install an app not from the Mac App Store? ›
1) Download the app you want to install on your Mac. 2) In the Downloads folder, double-click to open the installer. 3) In the app installer drag and drop the app in the Applications folder. 4) In the Applications folder, double-click to open the app.How do I open apps outside of App Store on Mac? ›
- In the Finder on your Mac, locate the app you want to open. Most apps can be found in the Applications folder.
- Control-click the app, then choose Open from the shortcut menu.
- Click Open.
If your device's processor is working on intensive tasks—such as compressing HD video, playing a graphics-heavy game, or indexing the hard drive with Spotlight after you migrate data—the fans run faster to provide additional airflow.Why is IMAC so slow? ›
Your Mac might be slow because of an outdated operating system or a full hard disk — especially if you have an older model Mac. If your Mac is new, it might be slow because you're running too many background programs and apps or even have a malware infection.What is the Alt key on Mac? ›
Alt key. On North American Mac keyboards, a key on the bottom row is labeled both Alt and Option. This is the closest thing the Mac offers to the Windows Alt key. In many situations, keyboard shortcuts that involve the Alt key in Windows use the Option key on the Mac.Can I get my WhatsApp verification code by email? ›
You must be able to verify your phone number via SMS or voice call. We cannot send the code via email. If you can check your voicemail while traveling, you may be able to successfully verify.
When you answer the call, an automated voice should tell you the 6-digit code. Insert that to verify WhatsApp. Note: Depending on your carrier, you might receive charges for SMS and phone calls. Reboot your phone (To reboot your phone, turn it off, wait for 30 seconds, and turn it back on).How can I use WhatsApp with Gmail? ›
How do I send an email to WhatsApp? To send an email to WhatsApp, first open your Gmail account and select the messages you want to forward. Then tap the icon in the lower right corner. Select WhatsApp from the available options and share.Can Chrome OS run WhatsApp? ›
And Chromebooks are no different as you can use WhatsApp conveniently on your Chromebook either through its web version or the app. So, let's look at two different ways to use WhatsApp on your Chromebook.Can I install WhatsApp on Google? ›
Go to the Google Play Store, then search for WhatsApp Messenger. Tap INSTALL. Open WhatsApp and continue to the next screen by agreeing to our Terms of Service. Register your phone number.Is there a Chrome extension for WhatsApp? ›
WATookit is the best rated extension for WhatsApp™ Web! Never ever miss a WhatsApp notification again while you are on your desktop computer. This extension makes it possible to receive WhatsApp notifications even when there is no WhatsApp tab or Chrome window at all open.How do you open apps on Mac with Keyboard? ›
On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Settings, click Keyboard in the sidebar (you may need to scroll down), then click Keyboard Shortcuts on the right. Select App Shortcuts on the left, click the Add button , click the Application pop-up menu, then choose a specific app or All Applications.What are the different ways to boot up a Mac? ›
- Command (⌘)-R: Start up from the built-in macOS Recovery system. ...
- Option (⌥) or Alt: Start up to Startup Manager, which allows you to choose other available startup disks or volumes.
- Option-Command-P-R: Reset NVRAM or PRAM.
- Shift (⇧): Start up in safe mode.
Swipe up from the bottom of your screen to the top. If you get All Apps , tap it. Tap the app that you want to open.Which of the following Mac features is used to launch apps? ›
The Dock is the main taskbar in Mac OS. The Dock is used to launch apps, switch between running apps, access the Trash, and access specific folders.What does Ctrl B do on Mac? ›
Control-B: Move one character backward. Control-L: Center the cursor or selection in the visible area. Control-P: Move up one line. Control-N: Move down one line.
In terms of functionality, the alt key in Windows is often more comparable with the Command key than with the Option key on a Mac. You might be also familiar with the Ctrl and Alt keys from your PC. On your Mac keyboard, you have Command (⌘ cmd), Control (ctrl), and Option (⌥ alt) keys.What key is Alt in Mac? ›
Sometimes called the Option Key, the Alt Key is the third key from the left on a Mac keyboard. The key won't do anything when pushed separately since it can't independently execute a system command. When combined with other keys, however, you can quickly access hidden functions and special characters.What does F12 do on Mac? ›
• F12 – Volume Up
Pressing a function key will invoke its secondary function by default. To use the Fx keys as standard function keys, press and hold the Fn button and then press the required function key.
- F1 decreases display brightness.
- F2 increases display brightness.
- F3 launches Mission Control.
- F4 opens Launchpad.
- F5 decreases keyboard brightness or activates dictation.
- F6 increases keyboard brightness or toggles Do Not Disturb.
- F7 skips back audio.
- F8 pauses and plays audio.
For Mac, hold Cmd-Shift-R or Shift-Reload. Most browsers also have a refresh button next to the URL. What is Ctrl F5? Ctrl + F5 is the shortcut to trigger a refresh, which will force the page to reload.How do you turn off an iPhone 13? ›
Press and hold either volume button and the side button until the power-off slider appears. Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off.How can I make my iPhone look like an Apple watch? ›
- Open the Settings app on the paired iPhone.
- Go to Accessibility > Apple Watch Mirroring, then turn on Apple Watch Mirroring.
- Generate an app idea.
- Do competitive market research.
- Write out the features for your app.
- Make design mockups of your app.
- Create your app's graphic design.
- Put together an app marketing plan.
- Build the app with one of these options.
- Submit your app to the App Store.
MacOS is the computer operating system (OS) for Apple desktops and laptops. It is a proprietary graphical OS that powers every Mac. OSes interact with a computer's hardware, allocating the resources necessary to complete tasks given to it -- for example, running an application.What are cool features of a Mac? ›
- Quick Look. Quick Look lets you quickly preview files without opening them in Finder. ...
- Virtual Desktops (Spaces) ...
- Full-Screen Mode. ...
- Screenshots. ...
- Keyboard Shortcuts. ...
- Spotlight Search. ...
- Force Quit. ...
Home. Purpose Launchpad is an agile framework that leverages the state of the art of innovation methodologies to help people to operate with the right mindset to successfully generate new initiatives, such as startups and or new products, and to evolve existing organizations to make a positive impact.